Since 1990, our agency has been providing legal information and representation to victims. We are a legal resource to other sectors of the community as well. Our programs have become more diversified and in addition to legal services, we have a complement of advocates to assist and accompany victims as they seek access to community resources in their pursuit of safety and freedom.
Agency work involves a commitment to raising public awareness, community building, outreach to immigrant and ethnic communities as well as cis, trans, non-conforming and non-binary survivors. Specialized training, cultural competency and refined expertise in intimate partner abuse are integral to Domestic Violence Action Center.
Our services include:
- A legal helpline
- Legal representation in family court actions involving divorce, custody, protection orders, post decree, and paternity matters
- Advocacy for individual victims
- Case management for clients on our civil caseload, victim partners of convicted domestic violence misdemeanants, and hotline callers in crisis
- Outreach in civil court for petitioners seeking protection orders
- Outreach in criminal court for witnesses in abuse cases
- Advocacy and outreach to teen victims of dating violence
- Community education and material development
- Advocacy for system reform
- Community and Capacity Building
We are a statewide resource for social service providers, educators, health professionals, therapists, attorneys, employers and civic groups.
For every $1 invested in the Domestic Violence Action Center during the year, the State of Hawaii community receives $5.64 of immediate and long-term financial benefits. (2016 Social Return on Investment analysis, conducted by Community Services Analysis LLC).