Goals: Provides administrative and secretarial support for the Legal Team. Works closely with the Managing Attorney and Legal Team to assure timely and efficient completion of legal team operations and procedures, and statistical reporting.
Minimum Qualifications: 2 years experience working at court, in a law firm, or other legal/law-related setting, and/or research facility or legislative area. Familiarity with computer (including Outlook, Word, Excel), faxing, copying, postage, phone systems, and other office equipment. Experience. Ability to type 50 WPM. Good written and oral communication skills. Good organizational skills and ability to multi-task.
Desired qualifications: Knowledge of dynamics of family violence and commitment to helping victims of domestic violence. Ability and willingness to adapt to changing and dynamic work environment. Ability and willingness to support other staff to accomplish overall goals of the legal team and agency. Understanding of basic bookkeeping principles.
- Maintain legal staff filing system including opening and closing of client case files including creating new matter index cards, and collect, input, maintain, and retrieve legal services data including the contact database, for preparation of reports/stats and analysis of programs.
- Provide backup support to the Legal Team for client billing system and collection of monies due.
- Prepare and make bank deposits after review with the Managing Attorney.
- Provide administrative and secretarial support to the Managing Attorney.
- Organize referrals for legal services for review by the Managing Attorney, distribute follow ups and ensure that follow ups are done, contact applicants regarding status of requests for legal representation.
- Provide back up support to the paralegals including assignment of legal cases if needed following the needs of the Legal Team.
- Organize files to be sent to and retrieved from agency storage facility as requested by legal staff and maintaining closed file list for reference and storage retrieval; annually moving closed cases to storage.
- Participate in Legal Team meetings and mandatory staff meetings.
- Assist legal team with travel and other arrangements for conferences, seminars and other educational/professional events if needed.
- Provide front desk telephone coverage on a rotation basis.
- Provide other administrative support to agency as needed (i.e. coverage during vacation, sick days, etc.)
- Perform other duties as requested by the Managing Attorney.
- The Legal Assistant will report directly to and be supervised by the Managing Attorney.
Salary Range: $32,500.00 – $37,000.00
Interested? Submit your cover letter, resume and 3 references to: firstname.lastname@example.org